Wednesday, December 30, 2009

When Morning People Attack!


Yesterday was particularly frosty in the D.C. area, and trudging to the Metro and from the Metro in the virtual darkness of a winter morning while half asleep was considerably lame. Let's just say the melatonin buildup in my body was especially high, and my psyche was burdened with having to be at work on a week that should have been a holiday, as many others in the area were off toasty in their beds, sleeping off the nog.

So, I wasn't very aware of my surroundings, is what I'm saying; in other words: dark, cold, sleepy, depressing ...

I emerge from the Metro tunnel and ride the escalator up, still aforementionedly groggy. Posted at the top of the escalator is a woman handing out brochures. She attempts to shove one at me, but my hands were buried deep in thick gloves, and further buried deeply in my pockets. I didn't reach out for one, as it would likely have caused my body temperature to drop 6 degrees, sending me in to hypothermic shock. Further, my fuzzy brain barely registered the interaction, which wasn't the case on her end ...

I walk past, and she says in a sickly sweet tone, "Good morning to you, TOO!"

Whaaaaa??? I was judged by the brochure passer-outer! How unfair is that? It's not like I was expecting to have my path crossed by someone I had to interact with, much less someone trying to make me do something. It's probable I didn't even want the brochure, whatever it was. And, I'm not a morning person, and shouldn't be judged by those who are.

I guess this is a sign that I've fully assimilated into D.C. culture. When I first landed here from laid-back and friendly Seattle, I would've likely taken six brochures and carried on a 12 minute conversation with the lady out of politeness. But now, I have one thing to say to her: Suck it, Judgey Brochure Lady.

1 comment: